Iowa - TITLE XIV. PROPERTY
SUBTITLE 1. PERSONAL PROPERTY
CHAPTER 555A. DOOR-TO-DOOR SALES
Iowa Code § 555A.2 (2005)
Every seller shall furnish the buyer with a fully completed receipt or copy of any contract pertaining to a door-to-door sale at the time of its execution, which is in the same language as that principally used in the oral sales presentation and which shows the date of the transaction and contains the name and address of the seller, and in immediate proximity to the space reserved in the contract for the signature of the buyer or on the front page of the receipt if a contract is not used and in boldface type of a minimum size of ten points, a statement in substantially the following form:
You, the buyer, may cancel this transaction at any time prior to midnight of the third business day after the date of this transaction. See the attached notice of cancellation form for an explanation of this right.
Iowa Code § 555A.3 (2005)
Every seller shall furnish each buyer, at the time the buyer signs the door-to-door sales contract or otherwise agrees to buy consumer goods or services from the seller, a completed form in duplicate, captioned "Notice of Cancellation", which shall be attached to the contract or receipt and easily detachable, and which shall contain in ten point boldface type the following information and statements in the same language as that used in the contract:
NOTICE OF CANCELLATION
(enter date of transaction)
You may cancel this transaction, without any penalty or obligation, within three business days from the above date.
If you cancel, any property traded in, any payments made by you under the contract or sale, and any negotiable instrument executed by you will be returned within ten business days following receipt by the seller of your cancellation notice, and any security interest arising out of the transaction will be canceled.
If you cancel, you must make available to the seller at your residence, in substantially as good condition as when received, any goods delivered to you under this contract or sale; or you may if you wish, comply with the instructions of the seller regarding the return shipment of the goods at the seller's expense and risk.
If you do not agree to return the goods to the seller or if the seller does not pick them up within twenty days of the date of your notice of cancellation, you may retain or dispose of the goods without any further obligation.
To cancel this transaction, mail or deliver a signed and dated copy of this cancellation notice or any other written notice, or send a telegram, to . . . . . . . . . . . ., (Name of seller) at . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (Address of seller's place of business) not later than midnight of . . . . . . . . . . . . (Date).
I hereby cancel this transaction.
555A.4 Duties of seller.
A seller shall:
1. Furnish two copies of the notice of cancellation to the buyer, and complete both copies by entering the name of the seller, the address of the seller's place of business, the date of the transaction, and the date, not earlier than the third business day following the date of the transaction, by which the buyer may give notice of cancellation.
2. Not include in any contract or receipt any confession of judgment or any waiver of any of the rights to which the buyer is entitled under this chapter including specifically the right to cancel the sale in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.
3. Inform each buyer orally, at the time the buyer signs the contract or purchases the goods or services, of the buyer's right to cancel.
4. Not misrepresent in any manner the buyer's right to cancel.
5. Honor any valid notice of cancellation by a buyer and within ten business days after the receipt of notice shall refund all payments made under the contract or sale, return any goods or property traded in, in substantially as good condition as when received by the seller, and cancel and return any negotiable instrument executed by the buyer in connection with the contract or sale and take any action necessary or appropriate to terminate promptly any security interest created in the transaction.
6. Not negotiate, transfer, sell, or assign any note or other evidence of indebtedness to a finance company or other third party prior to midnight of the seventh business day following the day the contract was signed or the goods or services were purchased.
7. Within ten business days of receipt of the buyer's notice of cancellation notify the buyer whether the seller intends to repossess or to abandon any shipped or delivered goods.
§ 555A.2 (2005) - Contract
Iowa - TITLE XIV. PROPERTY